Tracking and Traceability is a feature that currently needs to be implemented in the Food development chain. The European Foods laws define tracking and tracing as the process of finding the supplier and linking such supplier to the client.
In response to a growing number of recall incidents, a wave of software, hardware, consulting and systems vendors have emerged over the last few years to offer a range of traceability solutions and tools for the industry. In 2003, Oryx has upgraded Flex˛B to comply with legislation, and to provide tracking and tracing capabilities, built into the entire solution.
Radio-frequency identification and barcodes are two common technology methods used to deliver that traceability.
Flex˛B goes further than requested.
Flex˛B was a very early adaptor to the legislation. It actually means that several components are rewritten from scratch.
Currently, Flex˛B Fresh Produce is able to:
- identify an orchard for every grower
- identify fruit that comes from the field at the growers orchard. (bin management)
- identify the fruit with characteristics such as origin, variety, grower, orchard (pkin)...
- identify the fruit as a per box as the smallest traceable unit
- identify the boxes as being part of a certain pallet.
- identify the pallets on a production order
- identify all operations on a pallet a.k.a.
Stock movements, creations, production, (re)packing, quality, segregation, deliveries, returns,
blocking, dump, track, trace and recall
- identify delivery operations
- apply bar codes per bin, pallet & box
- print bar coded pallet cards, box labels
- scan bar codes at any operation (production lines, PDA, hand scanner...)
Currently, Flex˛B Wood is able to:
- define a lot of trees over several varieties
- define a sellable lot over several varieties
- uniquely identify each tree
- Cutting, measuring, sawing, loading of trees to container or truck.
- track and trace the tree as per container or sea container until arrival at the destination port.
Flex˛B for Quality controllers.
In addition to the high end user applications, Flex˛B also has an open standard interface. It gives persons (ie Quality controllers) the ability to go and scan some packs in the local warehouse and immediately get an overview of the operations that were done on a specific box or pallet. It allows you to use our PDA modules in the field or to write your own client applications for a variety of mobile phones.